Winging It!

Anyone who says that you need a studio to be a photographer is trying to sell you a studio-
But in all seriousness, you do not NEED a studio in order to be a good photographer. A perfect example of this is a shoot I did back in December of 2020.
My cousin and his wife had a baby! They wanted some baby photos done, and as per my motto "I'll Shoot Anything", I thought I would try my hand at newborn photos. This is a tough example to work with, and I am just realizing that now, because babies are SO particular during their shoots. Crank the heat and play Hawaii for a bit, because babies like it warm!

Any guesses on where I took the above photo?
In my cousin's home, on their air hockey table- Yes, you read that correctly, AIR HOCKEY TABLE. I didn't have any fancy light systems, a special room for it all, or my own private studio. I was winging it. Baby was only 7 days old when we did the shoot, which is right in the window of when you want to do newborn shoots, up until they are about 10 days old and then they start to get fussy about being the center of attention for too long.
The natural light from the window gave us a brilliantly airy feel and made the photos even more magical than if I did have to use any props. We had his big sister pop in for some photos too (who was an absolute champ), and got everything that I was hoping for from my first baby session.
To be fair, big sister was a champ right from the get-go. She was VERY excited during their family photos to be able to hang out around mumma's belly.
Anyways, if you want a studio awesome- Do it! It's your business. If you want a studio photographer, awesome! Do it! They're your memories. I like to have the freedom to travel to people and offer a crazy amount of different shoots. This set of baby photos worked out so well it definately won't be my last, and all I had to do was adjust my angles (as always), bring a white sheet and smile until my cheeks hurt.

Winging it, and I apologize for outing all of my fellow professionals, is a huge part of the job. Photographing a wedding and you've never been to the venue? Go early, go to the rehersal, scope out your area. There have been so many times that I don't know what I am walking into and I don't have the opportunity to scout it out the day before or the previous week. We are professional fly by the seat of our pants-ers and many of us get pretty good at it. It's part of why I love the job so much. But my point was, studio or no studio you can work with what you've got. Frequently wing it, change your angles, adjust your settings, and be comfortable with what you're doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Months Free

For my “Dog” People

A Plea to Equine Photographers