Point of View

This was written by a carpenter, I have taken it and changed it to fit a photographers point of view, I think it puts it into perspective nicely.

A customer asked a photographer how much it would cost to photograph their 8 hour wedding day...
Photographer: "$ 2,800 for an 8 hour package"
Customer: "That expensive for just 8 hours? That's $350 an hour!"
Photographer: "How much do you think it would cost you?"
Customer: "$800 maximum... That's a pretty easy job right?!"
Photographer: "Ok, For $800 I invite you to second shoot a wedding with me."
Customer: "But.... I don't know how to."
Photographer: "For $800 I'll teach you how to. So besides saving $2,100, you'll get the knowledge for the next time you want to do it."
That sounded fair so the customer agreed.
Photographer: "But to get started: you need the tools: A professional or entry professional camera, cards, lenses, flash, computer etc..."
Customer: "But I don't have all of the equipment and I can't buy all of it for one job."
Photographer: "Well then for another $1,000 I'll find rentals for you so you can do it."
Customer: "Okay!"
Photographer: "Ok, I will see you on Saturday so you can second shoot for me."
Customer: "Saturday is a long weekend, I am out of town with my family."
Photographer: "That's one of the only times I can have you out for a wedding. After that I am editing and working on family photos."
Customer: "Editing? How do you do that?"
Photographer: "I could teach you, but I have taken many courses on Photoshop, lightroom, business etc."
Customer: "That sounds like a lot more time than I have right now..."
Photographer: "And you'll also need to think about insurance, contracts, how you're returning the images, travel costs etc."
Customer: "This sounds like I am going to be spending a lot more money and time than I have... And I can't change plans for the long weekend."
Photographer: "You'll also need to think about what you'll include when you give them back their images- Will you have prints, a canvas, just a memory stick?"
Customer: "You know, I've been thinking. You know so much more than I do... I'd rather pay you the $2,800. If I had to, it wouldn't be perfect and it would cost me a lot more. I know I will get what I pay for with a professional"


When you pay for a job you pay not only for their time, but also:
  • Knowledge
  • Experience
  • Study
  • Tools/Equipment
  • Services
  • Travel Time
  • Punctuality
  • Accountability
  • Professionalism
  • Accuracy
  • Guarantee
  • Sacrifices
  • Their Bills
  • Future Equipment

No one can denigrate other people's work by judging prices. I have used a general price for this example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Months Free

For my “Dog” People

A Plea to Equine Photographers