A Plea to Equine Photographers





 This is a general plea to people getting started in photography, as well as those who are seasoned and branching into other genres they may not be familiar with. 

I’m niching down to specifically Equine events here, if I went into the Weddings “rabbit hole” I’d be in Wonderland a long time. 


PLEASE. Take some time to learn and know what you’re shooting. You don’t need to have 15 years of experience, but if you’re unsure- ASK. The equine world is fragile because of the animals involved. 


Using rodeo as a prime example, we are never getting rid of the naysayers, and we will never be able to inform those who just don’t want to learn. Things get worse when those who are inexperienced or naive about these sports get cameras. 


Keep in mind that the people in your photos have feelings and everyone sees things differently. Animals involved especially! I ask constantly if I can post buck-offs if they look rough, I will never post one if someone gets hurt and I won’t even ask if I know that person is beating themselves up over doing something “wrong” in their ride/run. 


A horse who likes to run with his mouth open? No go. An animal who scratched themselves too hard and there’s a spec of blood on their nose- Absolutely No Go. 

Animals can act up just as people can, it’s hard enough having a stadium full of spectators if something doesn’t go as planned, you don’t need to rub salt in the wound. 


Everyone there is in attendance because they love the sport. The wrong images, the wrong context, etc. is fuel for those who don’t want it around and don’t understand the way of life. 


Be an advocate for the equine world and if you have questions - ASK!



🐾Grae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Months Free

For my “Dog” People