Helping Hand

 Long time no chat! 

It's been a very busy last few months and there's no doubt been some feathers ruffled. I do my best to keep everyone happy and sometimes life doesn't work out the way everyone wants it to. I like to encourage and help as much as I possibly can, but there is only so much you can do when someone doesn't take advice- No matter how blunt.

 Let's roll right into this. I spend time with a great number of photographers and have a good list of "safe" shooters. These are the people I will gladly be seen working with, representing their brand and recommending them to people in their areas, or if I am unavailable in my area. Recently though there have been the odd few that like to push just a bit too hard, so I thought I could tackle that in a way that wraps everything up with nice little bow, but doesn't sound rude or single people out in any way.

If you are interacting with people and they have a photographer for something- Leave. Them. Alone.

People go through hell choosing their photographers and they land on them as their person because they a) Like their work, b) Feel comfortable with them, c) Like their prices and so on. If you need clients and are constantly asking other peoples you are not only going to turn those people even further away from working with you, you are also going to gain a bad reputation with other photographers for trying to snake their clients. Of course you can ask if it's brought up that someone is getting married, or is recently engaged and that's your genre then by all means, ask, but don't pry. A photographer that makes people uncomfortable without having their camera around won't be hired.



Remember that there are plenty of people in this world and your style isn't going to suit everyone's taste. You may edit differently than what they want, or maybe your personalities just don't match. THAT'S OK! It doesn't need to go to your head, or your heart. Believe me, I have been so deeply hurt when friends don't take up my offer for photos when they are pregnant, or hosting an event, and do you know what I did? Moved on. Stop offering. People know you are a photographer. If they want you they will come to you and pay you what you ask. You shouldn't have to drop your prices, beg people, or chase them around to become your clients. 

I had clients a handful of years ago and I was already booked for their date. Instead of saying "Booked, Sorry" like some might have, I rounded up some of my favourite photographers in the area and sent them a list of suggestions along with a sample portfolio to show them they would be getting the same treatment and quality that I would be giving them. You aren't losing a client this way. If you immediately think "Yes you are, you just sent them away", rethink for a moment. Now you are putting your name out there along with another photographer who will return the favour when they are booked at a later date. Your clients are also putting even more trust in you as you're being SO helpful and getting them their dream images, even if they're not yours. This is still a huge part of business and giving clients a great experience with you.

Stop taking things so personally and recognize that everyone has a different style, and that's alright. Just because yours doesn't fit one person doesn't mean it won't work for thousands of others. Be as helpful as you possibly can because the recommendations that the client, as well as other photographers make about you matter. Your business will thrive, your personality will show through, and you will attract your ideal clients.



🐾 Grae






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Months Free

For my “Dog” People

A Plea to Equine Photographers